There’s nothing like a good book to take your mind off your troubles or teach you something you need to know. More than ever I find I’m reading several books at once – it’s the mom’s multi-tasking skill taken to the joy of reading.
Here are some of my favorite books, arranged by topics related to out-and-out learning and those that are just for some much-needed fun!
Healthy Eating for the Whole Family – Inspiration, Education, and Recipes
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. A Year of Food Life. Barbara Kingsolver.
- Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. Hertzberg and Francois.
- Culinary Intelligence. Peter Kaminsky.
- First Meals. Annabel Karmel.
- Salad People and Pretend Soup. Mollie Katzen
- Super Baby Food. Ruth Yaron.
- Top 100 Baby Purees. Annabel Karmel.
- True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure. Andrew Weil.
- Experience Life Magazine. The best health and wellness magazine there is. Really.
- Undecided: How to Ditch the Endless Quest for the Perfect Career and Find a Job (and Life) That Works for You. Shannon and Barbara Kelly.
- A Short Guide to a Happy Life. Anna Quindlen.
- Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain. John Ratey.
- Breakfast with Buddha. Roland Merullo.
- After the Ecstasy, The Laundry. Jack Kornfield.
- Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5. The American Academy of Pediatrics.
- The Hurried Child: Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon. David Elkind.
- Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child: A Practical A-to-Z Reference toNatural and Conventional Treatments for Infants & Children. Zand and Walton.
- Humpty Who? A Crash Course in Nursery Rhymes. Jennifer Griffin.
- Healing Childhood Ear Infections: Prevention, Home Care and Alternative Treatment. Michael Schmidt.
- Freeing Our Families from Perfectionism. Thomas Greenspon.
- Keeping Your Kids Out Front Without Kicking Them From Behind: How to Nurture High-Achieving Athletes, Scholars, and Performing Artists. Ian Tofler and Theresa Foy DiGeronimo.
- Positive Discipline: The First Three Years. Jane Nelsen, Cheryl Erwin and Roslyn Ann Duffy.
- Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood: Practical Parenting from Birth to Six Years. Jim Fay & Charles Fay.
- Your Two-Year-Old: Terrible or Tender. Louise Bates Ames.
- Perfect Madness: Motherhood in the Age of Anxiety. Judith Warner.
- Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. Amy Chua.
- Bringing Up BeBe. Pamela Druckerman.
- NurtureShock. Po Bronson & Ashley Merryman.
- Last Child in the Woods. Richard Louvre.
- Free-Range Kids. Lenore Skenazy.
- Maxed Out: American Moms on the Brink. Katrina Alcorn.
- Overwhelmed: Work, Love and Play when No One has the Time. Brigid Schulte.
Historical Fiction (my favorite kind!)
- The House at Riverton. Kate Morton.
- The Forgotten Garden. Kate Morton.
- The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. David Mitchell.
- Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette. Sena Jeter Naslund.
- The Blood of Flowers. Anita Amirrezvani.
- Sarah: Book One of the Canaan Trilogy. Marek Halter.
- How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents. Julia Alvarez.
- The Help. Kathryn Stockett.
- The Postmistress. Sarah Blake.
- Brick Lane. Monica Ali. (Kind of a downer, though)
- The DistantHours. Kate Morton.
- The Secret Keeper. Kate Morton.