Today is a great day!
I knew it would be pretty good because it’s my wedding anniversary. The sunny skies remind me of what an amazing sunset we had at our outdoor ceremony on the Chesapeake Bay. I’d like to say the chilly Fall weather also reminds me of our nuptials, but it was a toasty 92 degrees on our wedding day a few years back. Thanks global warming!
But now more good news: a new baby in our family! My husband and I became aunt and uncle to one special little baby boy. And now Bean has her very first, first cousin! What a joyous day.
Two amazing things on one October day reinforces to me that there are so many wonderful things happening in this harvest season. My calendar is getting jammed with events both in- and out-of-town. Before my head explodes with trying to figure out which to definitely attend, I thought I’d let you share in the list of activities I’m trying to pair down.
Here are some of the fun things we might try to enjoy this month:
- Vienna Farmers Market special events, 8:00am – 12:00pm. On October 23, the budding Play With Words Children’s Museum will be at the market with games and exhibits. I used to volunteer with the growing nonprofit, and I’ve seen first hand the museum’s fun and thoughtful activities. And on October 9 and 30, “Art at the Market” will feature local artists.
- Long Branch Hot Air Balloon, Wine and Music Festival. October 15, 16 and 17, Shenandoah Valley. I am so excited for this. I’ve never seen a hot air balloon fly. I hear you have to go early or late in the to see them take flight.
- Rockwell Family Day. Saturday, October 23, 11:30am – 5:00pm, Smithsonian Museum of American Art, downtown at 8th and F Streets. Take part in activities inspired by Rockwell’s iconic paintings.
- Pumpkin Fest. Saturday, October 23, 10:00am – 12:00pm, Freeman House. Head towards the Vienna Town Green with your already-carved pumpkin. You can also bring food for donation, sponsored by the Committee for Helping Others. (I think this photo of drunk pumpkins is pretty funny. I don’t know who took it, though.)
- DC Green Festival. October 23 and 24, Washington Convention Center, downtown. Hubby and I have gone the last two years. We love the freebies and learning about new ways to keep our planet beautiful.
- Yoga After Dark. Friday, October 29, 7:00 – 9:00pm. East Meets West Yoga Center on Church Street is having a fun, playful and serene evening of yoga, movement and stillness, accompanied by live musicians. Costumes are welcome in a nod to Halloween. It’s $25 in advance, $35 at the door.
- The Banjo Man at Jammin Java. Fridays, 10:30am. The Banjo Man performs folk and bluegrass-inspired children’s songs accompanied by his five-string banjo. I haven’t been, but know others who have gone and enjoyed.
- Meadowlark Botanical Gardens Photographers’ Field Day. The garden will be open earlier and later and offer classes to learn about photography amidst its lush grounds.
- The Barnes at Wolf Trap. I love the indoor, cozy Barnes where I can have a glass of wine and listen to some great music, for not too much moolah. My pick for this month is actor-turned-musician Jeff Daniels. He’s supposed to be funny.
What am I missing? What are you doing around the area this month?